Sunday 15 July 2018

92 days of Summer Day 15

For me, one huge factor of diabetes is to prevent it. Sometimes, I mean it happens and there's nothing you could have done, you could have been healthy but something happens. I've seen it happen in the young, the older and the older. A fantastic article on  Preventing Diabetes can be found here

About 90% of people with diabetes have Type 2. So here are our risk factors


  • Your risk increases with ages. If you're white and over 40 or African-Caribbean black, or South Asian and over 25 you're at risk.
  • You're 2-6 times more likely to get type two diabetes if you have a parent/sibling/child with diabetes (Wow, not liking my odds, father and a sister!)
  • Diabetes is also 2-4 times more likely in people of South Asian or African Caribbean or black African descent.
  • If you've ever had high blood pressure
  • If you are overweight (especailly round the middle!)

You're also more at risk if:

  • you’ve ever had a heart attack or a stroke
  • you have schizophrenia, bipolar illness or depression, or if you are receiving treatment with antipsychotic medication
  • you’re a woman who’s had polycystic ovaries, gestational diabetes, or a baby weighing over 10 pounds.
All of this information is available on diabetes.org.uk

Can you see the pencil?  Down to 794,757 to go! Onto tick 2!
On to what I can do about it!
So again, I'm adding up all the steps so far on my fitbit this includes all the steps I've done after I've put them up on here, so it'll look like I've done a few more, the numbers might not add up.

Steps today:12,309
Steps so far: 205,243
Steps to go: 794,757

Oh and on a personal note Joseph went into a big boy bed last night for the first time, 4 hours to get him down last night, tonight was only 2! Annnnd he went on the potty again today for a wee and a poo! Again we waved "bye bye wee wee, bye bye poo poo!" down the loo... I know it sounds gross but its working I'm sticking with it! So I think when I'm in the house I think I'm just going to try him without his nappy on and only stick it on when we go out, we are out a lot it sounds a lot more then it is because we walk the school runs. He's growing so fast!

No comments:

Post a Comment